From Monday 8 November, parking charges will be starting at Hylands Estate’s three car parks between the hours of 9am and 6pm. If you’re a resident of the Chelmsford City Council area you’ll be able to get a reduction. Here’s everything you need to know about how to set this up.
Resident parking charges
Chelmsford residents parking at Hylands will pay the following rates:
- £2 for 1 hour
- £3 for any stay that’s more than an hour
To get this discount a little preparation is needed, but once everything is set up, you’re good to go, and your discount will be applied whenever you pay for parking.
Find your council tax number
This is important: you will need your council tax number if you have one. This is an eight-digit number beginning with an 8. If you don’t know it, you can find it in the following ways:
- on the right-hand side of a paper bill
- it may be on your bank statement if you pay by Direct Debit or standing order
- by signing in to your existing online council tax account
If you’re stuck and can’t find it by any of the ways listed above, you can also contact us to request your account number and we’ll post a copy of your bill to the property address.
If you’re a resident but you don’t have a council tax number, contact the parking team for assistance on 01245 606710 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Create a MiPermit account
Once you have your council tax number, you’ll need to set up a MiPermit account. MiPermit is the cashless parking system used in the Council’s car parks and across Essex.
Registering an account allows the system to recognise that you’re a Chelmsford resident and have access to this discount. It doesn’t take long to do, and once you’ve registered, your discount can be applied automatically via MiPermit every time you park at Hylands.
The easiest way to set this up is online at www.chelmsford.gov.uk/hylands-permit/. If you aren’t able to sign up this way, you can also register for MiPermit by phone, by calling 01245 606710 (choosing option 2 and then option 2 again).
Using MiPermit at Hylands Estate
Once you’ve set up your account and activated your resident discount, you’ll need to use MiPermit to pay for your parking sessions at Hylands Estate from 8 November. There will be cashless ticket machines in the car parks, but these won’t be able to recognise that you’re a resident and if you use these instead of MiPermit, you’ll have to pay the full price for your stay.
There are lots of ways to use MiPermit and although most find the app the easiest method, you don’t have to have a smartphone to pay. These are the main ways to use MiPermit:
- App: search for the MiPermit app on your device and download it onto your smartphone or tablet
- Online: log in to your account and pay at www.mipermit.com
- Phone: call the MiPermit helpdesk on 0345 520 7007 to book your parking. You can do this when you reach the car park, or if you don’t have a mobile phone, you can also call and pay for a parking session before you leave the house
- Text: send a text to 61600 including the word PARK, the Hylands location code for your particular car park, and the duration you’d like to stay. You’ll then receive a confirmation text from MiPermit. You can also extend parking by texting EXTEND and the extra time you’d like to add to your stay, by texting the same number. If you’ve paid a daily charge and wish to leave and come back later that day, your session will be valid in any of the estate’s car parks.
Hylands car park location codes
- London Road car park: 744024
- The Stables Visitor Centre car park: 744025
- Writtle car park: 744026
Charges begin on 8 November
Remember, although you can pay in advance, you don’t need to pay for parking before 8 November. From that date, charges apply between the hours of 9am and 6pm, so if you use the Hylands car parks between 7.30am and 9am, you won’t need to pay.
Don’t forget to set up your MiPermit account if you want to claim your resident discount. If you have any further questions about how to set this up, go to the Hylands parking saver guide on the Chelmsford City Council website.