Join in with Chelmsford’s Big Clean-Up
Saturday 18 September is World-Clean-up Day which is a chance for everyone to give their local environment some much-needed TLC. If you have some time to spare on that day, the City Council’s Love Your Chelmsford team is planning an ambitious neighbourhood litter-pick and other activities across all of the city and is encouraging people to join in.
Families, community groups, local businesses, schools and anyone else that lives or works in Chelmsford are invited to take part in litter-picking across the borough.
Love Your Chelmsford will be carrying out a number of activities on the day to improve the borough including deep cleaning the high street, removing graffiti, installing more recycle on the go bins, mature tree planting and plenty more.
Join the litter-picking army
Free litter-picking equipment is available for volunteers. Love Your Chelmsford is aiming to set up at least one litter-picking equipment collection point in every parish within the borough. See below for the current known collection points, although the list is still being added to on the Love Your Chelmsford website.
At each collection point, there will be available litter pickers, branded heavy duty bin bags, branded hi-vis waistcoats, gloves, plus even a special thank you gift for those lending their time to take part. There’ll be plenty of child and adult sizes available so that even Chelmsford’s youngest residents can join in.
“This is an ambitious clean-up event and it’s great to hear so many people are already keen to take time out of their day to play their part and lend a hand. If you’re able to spare even an hour on Saturday 18 September to join in with a local litter-pick near you, then your community will benefit greatly. Thank you to everyone taking part.”Cllr Rose Moore, Cabinet Member for Greener and Safer Chelmsford
The collection points set up so far for Saturday 18 September are:
- Boreham: Boreham Village Hall, Main Rd, Boreham, Chelmsford CM3 3JD
- Chelmer Village: Chelmer Village Hall, Village Square, Chelmsford CM2 6RE
- Danbury: The Old School House, Main Rd, Danbury, Chelmsford CM3 4NQ
- Galleywood: Watchouse Road Shops, 51 Watchouse Rd, Chelmsford CM2 8PU
- Good Easter: St Andrew’s Church, Souther, Cross Rd, Chelmsford CM1
- Highwood: Highwood Village Hall, Highwood Rd, Chelmsford CM1 3QG
- Little Baddow: The Memorial Hall, North hill, Little Baddow, Chelmsford, CM3 4TA
- Little Waltham: Tufnell Hall, The Street, Little Waltham, Chelmsford CM3 3NY
- Margaretting: Margaretting Village Hall, Wantz Rd, Margaretting, Ingatestone CM4 0EP
- Runwell: Runwell Village hall, 17 Church End Ln, Runwell, Wickford SS11 7JE
- Sandon: Sandon Village Hall, Recreation Ground, Rectory Chase, Sandon, Chelmsford CM2 7SQ
- South Hanningfield: South Hanningfield Village Hall, S Hanningfield Rd, South Hanningfield, Chelmsford CM3 8HL
- South Woodham Ferrers: South Woodham Ferrers Village Hall, 25 Hullbridge Rd, South Woodham Ferrers, Chelmsford CM3 5PL
- Springfield: Springfield Village Hall, St Augustine’s Way, Springfield, Chelmsford CM1 6GX
- Stock: The Common Car Park (behind Bakers Arms pub), Common Road, Stock
- West Hanningfield: West Hanningfield Village Hall, Church Rd, West Hanningfield, Chelmsford CM2 8UJ
- Woodham Ferrers and Bicknacre: Bicknacre Memorial Hall, Bicknacre Rd, Bicknacre, Chelmsford CM3 4ET
- Writtle: Car park next to Co-Op Food, 17 Bridge St, Writtle, Chelmsford CM1 3EY
Visit the Love Your Chelmsford website for the most up to date list of collection points. Equipment can be collected from 8am. You may also want to check out your local neighbourhood Facebook group, as some residents in your parish may have already arranged group litter-picks on Saturday that you could join in with.