# Top topics

culture outdoors green spaces

Council tax rebate to support residents

To cope with rising energy costs, the government has announced that some households will receive a £150 rebate.

This is called the “Council Tax Energy Rebate” and it will be administered directly by local authorities from April. This rebate is not reduction in council tax and so it won’t show on your bill. It is simply a one-off payment to you that will not need to be repaid.

Council Tax Energy Rebate

You are eligible for this payment if you are paying council tax and living in properties in bands A, B, C and D. You can find the Council Tax band for your property on your Council Tax bill or on our myhome online tool.

People who don’t pay Council Tax or who live in properties banded E-H and who are vulnerable or on a low income may receive discretionary payments.

We are waiting for government guidance about how all of this will work. Further information on the scheme and how to apply will be published online when we get more details.

You can find the official announcement of the scheme and support packages here on the Gov.uk website.

facebook twitter mail linkedin
Charlotte Maltby
Charlotte Maltby

Charlotte writes about the environment, parks, recycling, business, planning, public realm and democratic services.